If YOU have ANY information on the village of Stroat 
PLEASE contact the blog owner as soon as possible 
for it to be added.


some of STROAT’s Background History
the section of history below is sourced, in the main, from ‘British History Online‘ being in Tidenham CLICK HERE & from 

‘A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 10 – Westbury and Whitstone Hundreds’

The settlement at Stroat grew up where the main Gloucester-Chepstow road was crossed by the ancient trackway from the Severn.
In the earlier 18th century a track, variously described as a highway and a horse-path, still linked Stroat to the river (fn. 69) and the landing-places and fisheries at the two inlets known by the 16th century as Horse Pill and Walden Pill. (fn. 70)
(Horse Pill can be accessed via the path to the left of Stroat House across the land of Stroat Farm,
past the Dolmen (see: CLICK HEREon your right and
60 yards later through the rather mud and waterlogged bridge under the railway and Horse Pill is still clearly visible to your left – though clearly it has not been used for many years!)
The hamlet was linked to Churchend by an alternative route running through the fields to the north of the main road by Garston and Philpots Court; it was known as Hoball Lane in 1630 and was described as the way from Stroat to Tidenham church. (fn. 71)
Most of the seven customary tenants holding land at Stroat from Tidenham manor in 1584 (fn. 72) and the 14 families recorded in the tithing c. 1775 (fn. 73) evidently lived in houses on the main road.
The settlement there has remained a small one.
There are only two houses of any size, the 17th-century Stroat Farm on the north-west of the road and the 18th-century Stroat House (fn. 74) on the opposite side, and there are a number of 18th- or early-19th-century cottages.
A cottage opposite Stroat House was the George Inn from at least 1744 and was for many years the meeting-place of the Tidenham manor court. (fn. 75)
The inn, which in the later 19th century was known as the ‘George and Dragon’, was closed c. 1900. (fn. 76)
At Clap-y-Atts between Stroat and Woolaston a pair of stone cottages with mock timber-framing in the gables was built by Sir Percival Marling in 1905 to house disabled soldiers of his regiment. (fn. 77)
The population of Stroat tithing had risen to 176 in 37 houses by 1841, (fn. 78) apparently the result of scattered building both on the main road and in the north part of the tithing after inclosure of the chase.
Only one house had apparently existed before the 19th century in the chase area of the tithing, the Chase House, a stone cottage faced in plaster standing by the Coleford road, which had been built by 1769. (fn. 79)
It was an inn in the early 19th century, (fn. 80) but in 1920 the forester on the Marling estate lived there while the estate carpenter and mason occupied a pair of stone cottages further north (fn. 81) built by Sir William Marling in 1898. (fn. 82).
69 N.L.W., Badminton MSS. 2494 (entry for 1707), 2535.
70 Ibid. 2494; cf. G.D.R. Tidenham tithe award.
71 Glos. R.O., EL 201, p. 118.
72 N.L.W., Badminton MS. 2494.
73 Rudder, Glos. 765.
74 See p. 66.
75 N.L.W., Badminton MSS. 2536/1, 2563; Glos. R.O., D 1430B/8; cf. G.D.R. Tidenham tithe award.
76 Ex inf. Miss Joyce.
77 Glos. R.O., D 262/T 25A; date and inits. on bldg.
78 Census.
79 Badminton Mun. F Drawer 2, map, 1769.
80 Ibid. 104. 1. 11.
81 Glos. Colln. RV 306. 1.
82 Date and inits. on bldg.
Posted by: Greg Lance-Watkins
tel: 01594 – 528 337

Accuracy & Copyright Statement: CLICK HERE

DO MAKE USE of LINKS & >Right Side Bar< & The Top Bar >PAGES< Also:
Details & Links: http://GregLanceWatkins.Blogspot.com
Views I almost Totally Share: CLICK HERE Personal Political Comments: CLICK HERE Archive of General Stuff: http://gl-w.blogspot.com

General Stuff ongoing: CLICK HERE

Health Blog.: http://GregLW.blogspot.com
Enhanced by Zemanta